Google Summer of Code Updates from Week #4 (June 19th to June 23th)

Week 4 of GSoC is finished, and the work continues. The contributors keep working, and we keep mentoring using a weekly sync-up meeting, Monday for task management and Discord for daily chats.

Updates from Sebastian, our GSoC admin and mentor

This week was a little hard for the contributors, maybe because it is still part of the design of the solutions, so there are many things to try and read but less code. Which is fine for now.

Updates from Daniel, our Slips Performance Contributor

This week, I managed to get some form of multiprocess profiling to work. I disabled the modules and narrowed down the issue to InputProcess creating a zeek subprocess in a non-thread safe manner. The problem was that an outdated option “preexec_fn” was being used to run zeek as detached. I did some research and realized that this option was outdated and replaced with a new option “start_new_session=True” which accomplishes the same task as preexec_fn but in a safe manner. After making this change, the profiler was running smoothly. When I tried enabling the modules and running profiling, the problem of non-termination came back, which meant that there were other contributors to this problem from some or all of the modules. The core processes were still able to be profiled even with modules turned off so I left the profiling in this half complete state for this week and created a workaround so that when multiprocess profiling was enabled, the modules would be disabled so that there would at least be some data collected rather than no cpu data.

Updates from Shubhangi, our Slips Web UI Contributor

I've designed the IP overview and have made significant progress in profile overview and general overview. Profile overview is almost done.

I was facing certain problems with understanding how to fit in and prioritize the components but eventually figured out a unified design which has been approved and will be implemented.

I need some more information and it will be good to go with complete design.

Before you go…

We have published our latest Slips BlackHat Asia Arsenal 2023 video! 

Article Link: Google Summer of Code Updates from Week #4 (June 19th to June 23th) — Stratosphere IPS