First 90 days in a Product Manager role

Note: This Medium article, inspired by my winning entry in the EBS (Enterprise Business Services) Blogging Contest (org by WGTI EBS team), “First 30–60–90 Days Game Plan in a Product Manager Role,” has been adapted for a wider audience and features insights from Walmart leaders.

Hi! I am Gaurav Dubey working as Sr Product Manager at Walmart Global Tech. I am passionate about sharing knowledge from my practical experiences and write in the interest of contributing towards the community where interested individuals can benefit and enhance their knowledge. Today I make a humble attempt to share my experience as I began my journey with Walmart. Happy reading!

I started working at Walmart in September 2021 and, like many others, the pandemic required me to begin my role remotely. This presented the challenge of establishing connections with my stakeholders virtually. If I had to pinpoint one element that was most instrumental in helping me accomplish my objectives during that year, it would be my initial 90-day plan.

What all should be the part of First 100 days plan for anyone in a new Product Role?

<a href=”https://www.freepik.com/free-ai-image/confident-businessman-holding-touchpad-achieving-global-success-generated-by-ai_43004681.htm#fromView=search&term=planning&page=1&position=30&track=ais_ai_generated&regularType=ai">Image By stockgiu</a>Image By stockgiu

Listen & Learn
Get to know your team, your customers, and your stakeholders.

Deep Dive into the Work
Dig into the data, performance, and customer reviews. Seek to understand current capabilities.

Define your Operating Rhythm
How will you receive continuous feedback for your product? When will your internal ceremonies be planned?

Wrap it up
Connect the dots across what you have learned and understand any gaps that exist. Set your Vision, Mission, and Strategy.

Why you should create a 30–60–90-day plan?

1. It helps you organize your thoughts and identify your goals for the first three months.
  2. With a set list of things to focus on, you do not spend much time figuring out what to do next.
  3. The plan provides you with a clear path to becoming a contributor and leader in your new company.
  4. Your directed approach will help you build trust and gain your team’s confidence.
  5. When you create your plan and share it with your stakeholders, you can get their alignment and feedback.

Preparing and executing the plan — Focus on 3Ps

During my initial 90-day plan, I concentrated on the three Ps: Product, People, and Process. Let us examine each in more detail, beginning with people.

PEOPLE

It can include (not limited to) your team/ stakeholders or customers.

Image By freepik

Goal:

The objective is to enhance your relationships with stakeholders, not just your team members. Walmart emphasizes the 4ITB (4 in the Box) (Four in the Box) Model for team composition, which includes Product, Engineering, Business, and UX teams. In my case, some of these were:

1. Engineering

The success of any product manager is largely due to their engineering colleagues. No matter how great an idea, innovation, or process improvement may be, it is the engineering team that determines its feasibility, execution, and provides technical input. I made a deliberate effort to get to know my Engineering Manager, Technical Lead, and Software Engineers/DevOps through one-on-one meetings. This included learning about their backgrounds, interests, and work schedules in a remote environment.

2. Product

I initially thought the role of a Product Manager might be solitary, but I discovered a diverse and skilled Product Management group within my team. Through group chats and individual one-on-one calls, we got to know each other. They shared their experiences, insights, and knowledge on managing their products. Coincidentally, I attended a Product Offsite meeting within two months of joining, where I interacted with Product Managers across various activities.

3. Business & Leadership

Note: At first, it can be challenging to recall details about numerous conversations. I used Microsoft Note to record key highlights from individual discussions, their areas of ownership, etc., for future reference.

Keep in mind that you will need to contact these people once you become familiar with various projects and processes for any future inquiries.

4. User Experience

I had an introductory meeting with the User Experience team, where they presented various ideas and tools (such as Living Design). I documented their support team information on teams/zoom and the EBS UI (User Interface) Community. It is important to note key contacts who can be reached when needed.

5. Partner teams

There are a few teams outside of Walmart that collaborate with us on various products and functions. e.g., Data & Analytics team, etc.

Bear in mind that this list is not all-inclusive. Depending on your product, users, and company, you may encounter additional partners as well.

PROCESS

The next “P” is Process, which may encompass the following: — Onboarding process, Various working methods, Demos and meetups and leadership reports.

Image By vecstock

Goal:

Aim to comprehend the diverse processes employed by the team and organization and develop an understanding of how to contribute value.

Note: The first month in a new team can be thrilling but potentially overwhelming. As you begin to assume ownership of your roles and responsibilities, you might encounter numerous tasks. Make sure to diligently triage meetings, reports, and emails, prioritizing them based on their urgency.

Focus on addressing “Red” tasks first.

Meetings:

In your note-taking app, create a page for each meeting you attend or are recently added to, and briefly outline the stakeholders and their expectations of you.

Emails: Mark important emails with a flag.

For links: Organize essential links into distinct categories using bookmarks. For reports: Schedule a 15-minute reminder in your calendar for monthly or biweekly reports, ensuring they are completed when due.

PRODUCT

Image By freepik
Focus on the Competition, History, and the 5 Ws.

For each product you encounter, determine its goals and problem statement, addressing the Why and What of its development. Also, consider the execution details, such as how it will be carried out and the associated timelines.

For any product, it is beneficial to find answers to the 5 Ws :

1. Why are we creating this product?
  2. Who is our target audience?
  3. What does the product entail? (Features, offerings, and positioning)
  4. When will it be developed? (Product timelines)
  5. Where will it be available? (Platforms, locations, go-to-market strategy, etc.)

Suggestions:

1. Review product documentation, roadmaps, and demo videos. Create these resources if they do not already exist.

2. Gain hands-on experience with the product.

3. Learn about the Product Management Process by attending company product training programs.

4. Understand key product metrics.

5. Identify the product’s unique differentiators.

6. Develop an understanding of the product’s various challenges.

7. Familiarize yourself with the market and competitors.

Note: The 3 P’s are not listed in any particular order and should be considered concurrently.

As you meet with various stakeholders, add relevant information to the appropriate headers.

Additionally, try to gather information on:

1. Confluence links for PRDs (Product Requirements Document), Technical Specification Document like an architecture diagram, etc.

2. How to log in and use specific tools for testing

3. Whom to contact for more information or specific queries

4. Release timelines for ongoing products (and the tracking tool/page for them).

Sample Checklist for 30–60–90 days plan. Feel free to improvise in your own style.

Your 90-day plan is now complete. Remember what Yogi Berra said :

“If you don’t know where you are going, you’ll end up someplace else.”

References :

What To Do in Your First 30 - 60 - 90 Days as a Product Manager

Book recommendation : The First 90 Days by M. Watkins

Gaurav Dubey on LinkedIn: #leadership #first100days #learningandgrowing #timemanagement… | 10 comments

I am thankful for my peers, leaders at Walmart for the opportunity and encouraging me to blog on this experience. Thank you for reading, I hope this has provided a good prospective and helps you in the career journey as a Product Manager. Feel free to drop your comments and feedback!

First 90 days in a Product Manager role was originally published in Walmart Global Tech Blog on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.

Article Link: First 90 days in a Product Manager role | by Gaurav Dubey | Walmart Global Tech Blog | Medium