Empowering Women in Cybersecurity

Image by AuthorImage by Author

In March, we come together to celebrate Women’s History Month, a time dedicated to honoring the remarkable historical, cultural, political, and technical contributions made by women worldwide. It’s a chance to reflect on the inspiring achievements of women throughout history.

We realize that diversity plays an essential role in cybersecurity. However, cybersecurity has a bit of a reputational problem. Media representation, society chats, and lack of trust and confidence has led many women to falsely believe cybersecurity is the kingdom of young men wearing jackets in an intense war-room atmosphere. Nevertheless, fields like cybersecurity are trying to evolve beyond old stereotypes! Cybersecurity innovation thrives on the diversity of thought and backgrounds that both women and men bring to the table. The cyber community can benefit from a wealth of perspectives. Together, we can shape a more inclusive and effective future for cybersecurity.

Now let’s take a closer look at the hurdles I faced when I decided to enter the world of cybersecurity.

Hurdles I Encountered When Starting on my Journey into the Cybersecurity World

I hail from a small town devoid of any Information Technology (IT) industry. I used to commute 100 miles daily to work in a field (Software Development) that never truly resonated with me and brought me happiness. One fateful day, while catching up with college friends, we delved into life’s intricacies, sharing stories of our evolving careers, and indulging in some lighthearted conversation. Little did I know, the topic of ‘Cybersecurity’ was about to leave an indelible mark on my life.

In that moment, a newfound clarity washed over me. The domain of cybersecurity was unknown territory for many, including myself. I struggled with the idea of transitioning from ‘Software Development’ to cybersecurity. The unfamiliarity of this field left me uncertain about its potential, the available roles, and the growth prospects it held. As I tossed my cap at graduation, I was well-versed in Software Development skills, but to me the broader landscape of cybersecurity was an enigma.

There were moments then, as there are now, when I had to remind myself that my capabilities matched those of my male counterparts. For me, the persistent stereotypes that men excel in the domain of computers and IT were a hurdle. Yet, these very hurdles have fueled my resilience. Breaking free from these stereotypes, not just for myself but for those around me, became a driving force. Today, women have made their place in this industry and are excelling at every turn.

I have proudly navigated the domain of cybersecurity for many years now. So, my message to all the incredible women out there don’t measure your worth against anyone else’s. Ignite your confidence and chase after your aspirations with unwavering determination.

Today, men still hold the majority of roles within cybersecurity and IT. So, it should come as no surprise that women are underrepresented in cybersecurity job hiring and promotions equivalent to their application and employment rates. It is important to bridge the gap.

https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2019/04/03/women-cybersecurity-workforce/

Women are increasingly climbing the cybersecurity leadership ladder - Help Net Security

https://cybersecurityventures.com/women-in-cybersecurity-20-percent-2019/

Women Represent 20 Percent Of The Global Cybersecurity Workforce In 2019

Beyond a representation issue, this extends to a critical security concern. Cybersecurity can benefit from increased representation of women. Diverse perspectives play an essential role across all industries, not just in cybersecurity, but also where the gender imbalance persists.

https://cybersecurityventures.com/women-hold-17-percent-of-fortune-500-ciso-positions-in-2021/

Women Hold 17 Percent of Fortune 500 CISO Positions In 2021

In 2021/2022, women held just 17% of the Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) positions in Fortune 500 companies, as reported by Cybersecurity Ventures. Cyber intelligence, defense, and security innovation thrives on diversity of thinking and backgrounds. A greater representation of women can help the industry take novel approaches and new visions to cyber thinking. Together, across all genders, we can form new strategies and tactics to fight against malicious hackers and nation-state threats.

These statistics underscore a concerning trend: cybersecurity isn’t often women’s first choice of career. That’s precisely why it’s imperative to address this issue, bridge the gender gap, and empower women in the field.

However, it’s heartening to observe a positive shift in recent years. According to the (ISC)² Cybersecurity Workforce report, women now make up an estimated 24% of the overall workforce in the cybersecurity sector. More women are entering the field, seizing leadership roles, and contributing to its growth. There is also consistent improvement in the educational level of women and an exponential rise in women enrolling for security courses.

This is not enough. We need to understand why so few women are in this field and how to empower them.

https://www.tomtom.com/newsroom/news/a-look-back-at-womens-month-in-tech/

Stereotypes? Does Not Matter! Break the Glass and Empower Women in the Cyber Community

• Educate in schools about the cybersecurity field to help women understand what it means to be a cyber-defender.
  • Encourage women leaders to speak to young women and share their stories.
  • Support non-profit initiatives that have a mission to elevate women in cyber and provide key resources and career guidance.
  • Encourage college women to kick-start their careers with cyber training by enrolling in various cyber classes.
  • Fragment potential hiring barriers for cybersecurity roles to encourage candidates with diversity of thought and background without the need for traditional IT degrees.
  • Offer training to in-house associates that want to make the switch to cybersecurity from an adjacent field.
  • Invest in deep learning internships and the young women who are eager to test the waters of the cyber workforce.
  • Provide strong mentors to women to encourage and act as a role model.

I am certain women have the incredible ability to leverage their skills and experiences to make a profound impact in various domains including cybersecurity and Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) fields.

Facing Barriers to Get Started in the Cyber Field? Maybe Yes, Maybe No!

Entering the cybersecurity field can be challenging for women due to variously perceived barriers, but with dedication and determination, they can overcome these obstacles. Those already working in the industry may find opportunities within their organizations as the demand for cybersecurity grows. Additionally, having a supportive mentor can greatly benefit anyone seeking to enter the field.

Getting started in cybersecurity requires a combination of technical skills, soft skills, and confidence. One way to mature all those abilities is via training from a Cybersecurity bachelor’s degree program. You’ll not only learn the individual skills you need to qualify for a job in cybersecurity, but also be ready to enter the field with the conviction that comes from knowing you are qualified enough to do cybersecurity work, no matter what the stereotypes may say. Cybersecurity certifications and self-learning are also other ways to learn and build credibility.

Tables Are Turned and Better Days Are Ahead

The newest generation of professional newcomers into cybersecurity certainly has more females than ever before. Women held 24% of cybersecurity jobs globally in 2022, up from 20% in 2019 and around 10% in 2013. Cybersecurity Ventures predicts that women will be 30% of the global cybersecurity workforce by 2025, increasing to 35% by 2031.

Women also bring higher levels of education to cybersecurity. More women (52%) in the survey hold a post-graduate degree than their male counterparts (44%) do. The report also found that women in the field are advancing to leadership positions. According to survey respondents, higher percentages of women than men are reaching senior leadership and decision-making positions. The report also found that women in the field are advancing to leadership positions. According to survey respondents, higher percentages of women than men are reaching senior leadership and decision-making positions.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/isc-research-finds-women-comprise-24-of-global-cybersecurity-workforce-300822618.html

(ISC)² Research Finds Women Comprise 24% of Global Cybersecurity Workforce

“It’s an encouraging sign that more women are succeeding in cybersecurity and moving up through the ranks” By Jennifer Minella (CISSP, vice president of engineering & security at Carolina Advanced Digital, Inc. and chairperson of the (ISC)2 Board of Directors)

Yes, Women Are Crucial to Victory

The cybersecurity industry needs fresh approaches to combat cybercriminals and safeguard businesses it serves, which can be achieved by tapping into the untapped potential of women. Recent findings from the Library of the House of Commons show that companies with higher female representation in leadership positions experience greater success compared to those lacking diversity. Embracing fresh perspectives is crucial for ongoing innovation, growth, and sustained business prosperity.

As women excel in the field, they serve as inspirations for other aspiring female professionals looking to enter the cybersecurity workforce.

According to the Indian Express, there is consistent improvement in the educational level of women and a strong rise in women enrolling for online courses. Female cybersecurity workers are asserting themselves. And WALMART has always pushed the frontiers of what is possible for associates, including women.

Let’s Also Follow Initiatives to Get More Women in InfoSec

While the gender gap in cybersecurity is clear, thankfully many women (and men) in the industry recognize the issue and are taking steps to close the gap. These organization aims to bring together women in cybersecurity to share experience and knowledge and provide mentoring and networking opportunities.

50 Women in Cybersecurity Associations and Groups to Follow:

50 Women In Cybersecurity Associations And Groups To Follow

Some of the best initiatives for women:

- WiCyS (Women in CyberSecurity) (Global)

- Women’s Society of Cyberjutsu (WSC) (USA)

- WoSEC: Women of Cybersecurity (Global)

- The Diana Initiative (USA)

- OWASP Women in AppSec (WIA) (Global)

- SANS Women’s Immersion Academy (USA)

- Code Like A Girl (Global)

- Ladies in Cybersecurity by DefCamp (Romania)

- Women Tech Network (Global)

- Engaging Women in Cyber Defense (Canada)

Empowering Women in Cybersecurity was originally published in Walmart Global Tech Blog on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.

Article Link: Empowering Women in Cybersecurity | by Neha Sherkhane | Walmart Global Tech Blog | Mar, 2024 | Medium