[SANS ISC] Using Nmap As a Lightweight Vulnerability Scanner

I published the following diary on isc.sans.edu: “Using Nmap As a Lightweight Vulnerability Scanner“:

Yesterday, Bojan wrote a nice diary about the power of the Nmap scripting language (based on LUA). The well-known port scanner can be extended with plenty of scripts that are launched depending on the detected ports. When I read Bojan’s diary, it reminded me of an old article that I wrote on my blog a long time ago. The idea was to use Nmap as a lightweight vulnerability scanner. Nmap has a scan type that tries to determine the service/version information running behind an open port (enabled with the ‘-sV’ flag). Based on this information, the script looks for interesting CVE in a flat database. Unfortunately, the script was developed by a third-party developer and was never integrated into the official list of scripts… [Read more]

[The post [SANS ISC] Using Nmap As a Lightweight Vulnerability Scanner has been first published on /dev/random]

Article Link: https://blog.rootshell.be/2020/05/08/sans-isc-using-nmap-as-a-lightweight-vulnerability-scanner/