Global Community Service Day 2018: Together for good

By: Emily, Communications Program Manager

When I finished college, I went to work for the same nonprofit youth sports organization where I tried volleyball, basketball and other sports growing up. The keyword is ‘try,’ because, let’s face it – I was bad at sports. All coaches for the organization were – and still are – volunteers. I’m sure they thought they were just teaching us kids how to dribble a basketball. But in actuality, I learned important life lessons: how to be a team player, the meaning of dependability, how to maintain grace when faced with challenges, and so much more. Motivated by the impact of giving back, I continued to volunteer as an adult and joined the nonprofit workforce.

When I left the nonprofit sector and joined McAfee late last year, I hoped I wouldn’t lose touch with my service-based roots. Fast-forward to Global Community Service Day, and I’m more in tune with them than ever.

All About #McAfeeGCSD

Global Community Service Day (GCSD) is an important McAfee tradition that encourages employees worldwide to step away from their desks and spread goodness to people and animal shelters, schools, food pantries, children’s charities, veterans’ services, parks, hospitals and more. This year, GCSD took extra steps to support McAfee’s mission to protect what matters by encouraging employees to participate in and teach the newly relaunched Online Safety Program. McAfee’s Online Safety Program is designed to educate and inspire children from all over the world, at every age, to learn about online safety.

When my team began working towards this special day, it was difficult for me to picture how such an event would shape up with so many people doing so many different things in so many locations. But the people of McAfee came together for good! And they came eagerly with open hearts. Across dozens of sites around the globe, with representation from all departments, my McAfee colleagues stepped up to do good by coordinating projects with their favorite charities, signing up to support the projects of others at their sites, donating needed items, and teaching McAfee’s Online Safety Program to thousands of children.

From Texas and California – to Ireland and the U.K. – over to Argentina – and all the way to Australia and India – and many more, sign-ups for service activities around the globe came pouring in. What an inspiration! Take a look at some of the photos from activities around the globe.

How My Day Shaped Up

At the Plano, Texas site (my home office) alone, there were 13 different activities benefiting even more charitable organizations to choose from. For my own GCSD experience, I chose to volunteer with Jake’s Heart, a local organization led by a very special 8-year-old boy. With several of my McAfee peers by side (next to me in an assembly line, to be exact), I went to work preparing and packaging meat and cheese sandwiches for the local homeless community. By the end, we’d packed up two huge boxes of ready-to-go sandwiches for those in need. But it went by too fast! I had so much fun helping out, that I almost rushed out to buy more bread so that we could keep the assembly going. It’s safe to say that I’m already counting down for GCSD 2019!

Wherever I go, wherever I work, keeping a heart of service will always be important to me. It’s a great feeling to be part of an organization of wonderful people who believe that ‘Together is power,’ and I’m happy to be a part of this amazing global McAfee community.

For more stories like this, follow @LifeAtMcAfee on Instagram and on Twitter @McAfee to see what working at McAfee is all about.

Interested in joining our teams? We’re hiring! Apply now!

The post Global Community Service Day 2018: Together for good appeared first on McAfee Blogs.

Article Link: https://securingtomorrow.mcafee.com/life-at-mcafee/global-community-service-day-2018-together-for-good/