COOK WITH CARVE: Mike’s Chipotle Pulled Elk or Venison

The finished product ready for tacos!

This recipe originally came from WiredToHunt, but it seems as though the recipe has been the victim of a web site re-org and is no longer easily accessible. But fear not, as I have a simplified version of this delicious slow cooker meal. I have done this with Elk and Venison roasts, but you can probably modify it for your protein of choice. 

INGREDIENTS

• 2-4 lb elk or venison roast 
  • 1 pack of your favorite bacon 
  • 1 tbsp. Kosher salt 
  • ½ tsp. chipotle powder 
  • 7 fl oz. cranberry sauce (half a 14 fl oz. can) 
  • 7.5 fl oz. chipotle peppers 
  • 2-4 garlic cloves, crushed or minced 

We try to find the cleanest canned options available, with no preservatives and few ingredients.

STEPS

1. Catch an elk or deer, and butcher. Alternatively, acquire a farmed game roast from places like Sayersbrook or Fossil Farms.
  2. Mix one tablespoon of kosher salt with ½ teaspoon of chipotle powder (adjust chipotle to your taste preference) 
  3. Rub the roast down with the crushed garlic, and then the salt/chipotle combination 
  4. Line the bottom of the slowcooker with half the pack of bacon. Lay the roast on top and cover the roast with the remaining bacon. Try to keep the roast low in the cooker, so that it will simmer into the bacon fat and other juices. 
  5. Dump the can of chipotles and half of the whole cranberry sauce can on and around the roast. I don’t like the meat and juices to be so sweet, which is why I only use half the can. 
  6. Cook on low for 8 hours. If you feel inclined, baste the roast during the later stages of cooking with its own juices. Game meats are lean and can tend to dry out, so higher portions of the roast that are not submerged may develop a harder crust, hence the recommendation to baste. 
  7. After 8 hours, move the roast to a cutting board for pulling and chopping. In my experience, it may not be fall-off-the-bone tender like a pork roast, however the meat will still be soft, and more importantly, delicious!

Ready to slow cook for 8 hours!

Disclaimer: Mike has zero culinary training or professional experience.

Article Link: COOK WITH CARVE: Mike’s Chipotle Pulled Elk or Venison | Carve Systems