Analyzing .DWG Files With Embedded VBA Macros

AutoCAD’s drawing files (.dwg) can contain VBA macros. The .dwg format is a proprietary file format. There is some documentation, for example here.

When VBA macros are stored inside a .dwg file, an OLE file is embedded inside the .dwg file. There’s a quick-and-dirty way to find this embedded file inside the .dwg file: search for magic sequence D0CF11E0.

My tool cut-bytes.py can be used to search for the first occurrence of byte sequence D0CF11E0 and extract all bytes starting from this sequence until the end of the .dwg file. This can be done with cut-expression [D0CF11E0]: and pipe the result into oledump.py, like this:

Next, oledump can be used to conduct the analysis as usual, for example by extracting the VBA macro source code:

There is also a more structured approach to locate the embedded OLE file inside a .dwg file. When one looks at a .dwg file with a hexadecimal editor, the following can be seen:

First there is a magic sequence identifying this as a .dwg file: AC1032. This sequence varies with the file format version, but since many, many years, it starts with AC10. You can find more details regarding this magic sequence here and here.

At position 0x24 (36 decimal), there is a 32-bit little-endian integer. This is a pointer to the embedded OLE file (this pointer is NULL when no OLE file with VBA macros is embedded).

In our example, this pointer value is 0x00008080. And here is what can be found at this position inside the .dwg file:

First there is a 16-byte long header. At position 8 inside this header, there is a 32-bit little-endian integer that represents the length of the embedded file. 0x00001C00 in our example. And after the header one can find the embedded OLE file (notice magic sequence D0CF11E0).

This information can then be used to extract the OLE file from the .dwg like, like this:

Achieving exactly he same result as the quick-and-dirty method. The reason we don’t have to figure out the length of embedded OLE the file using the quick-and-dirty method, is that oledump ignores all bytes appended to an OLE file.

I will adapt my oledump.py tool to extract macros directly from .dwg files, without the need of a tool like cut-bytes.py, but I will probably implement something like the quick-and-dirty method, as this method would potentially work for other file formats with embedded OLE files, not only .dwg files.

Article Link: https://blog.didierstevens.com/2019/12/16/analyzing-dwg-files-with-vba-macros/