Payload URL (pointing to @Cloudflare):
https://luckyprizewon .xyz/wp-index.php

Domain registered through @Namecheap:

Domain Name: LUCKYPRIZEWON .XYZ
Registrar: Namecheap

URLhaus:
https://t.co/UySKCRUr2B pic.twitter.com/UTydosLbjP

— abuse.ch (@abuse_ch) August 5, 2020

It had been awhile since an XLM document had crossed my desk and I was wondering if anything had changed since the last one I did in mid-July? It hadn’t. I’ll be honest, these ones are a real pain to get through. But if you know what to look for, they’re not that difficult to unravel. I’ve even got some tips on how to become more efficient at investigating this particular document. Let’s get to it.

XLM Code Location

This version of the zloader document is interesting because the main activity takes place all in one column rather than being scattered all over the place. This column contains all of the loops and functions that will create, write, and execute the commands needed to reach out to a URL and begin downloading. The XLM commands begin in R337C185.

While the XLM code starts there, that is not where the entry point is located. It took some time to figure it out, but execution actually starts in R443C185.

This XLM code contains three basic steps.

1. Set up variables and locations from which to grab hex characters and where to write new strings.
  2. Grab hex characters, convert them to ASCII, and write them to a new location.
  3. Jump to new location and execute XLM commands.

Step 1: Set up variables

For space-saving purposes, I copied the XLM commands to Notepad++ and removed the spaces between lines. Starting at the entry point (R443C185) and continuing down, some of these variables define the location of certain commands necessary for code execution. The highlighted variables below show where the hex characters can be found and also where to write the assembled strings.

Step 2: Convert hex to ASCII and write to new location

Things get kind of hairy here and I don’t know if there is a good way to explain this. Find “Start here” and follow the numbers in the dashed boxes.

Step 3: Jump to new location and execute

This part is pretty self explanatory. Once all of those strings have been written, jump to R17978C243 and continue XLM command execution. You may remember that these are the commands that are used to evade sandboxes.

Understanding the Pattern

Now that we understand how this flows, we can see the pattern. After round one is completed, rounds two and three each provide new locations from which to grab hex characters, convert them, write to a new location, and then execute them.

Rounds two and three produce this output:

Making Analysis More Efficent: =PAUSE()

The XLM function =PAUSE() allows for the possibility of debugging. We can make the macro do most of the work for us if we use this strategically.

Looking at the original XLM commands to set up the variables, placing =PAUSE() right after the call to =ebnSmgBKoRc() will allow all of the hex to be decoded and written to R17977C243. Once it hits =PAUSE(), execution will… pause allowing us to inspect it at our leisure. Make sure that you start the code execution at the entry point (R443C185). You need all of the variables populated so that the decoder function can run properly. Right-click on that cell and select run. =PAUSE() can also be placed right after the other two decoding functions to grab that data.

Thanks for reading!

Article Link: 2020-08-05: Update on zloader XLM code – Click All the Things!